On 3rd May 1784, Yeoman Arthur Hidson sold a cottage and land at Heathton to John Plimley. Adding a parcel of land in 1801 bought from the Rev. John Charles Beckingham, paying 61 pounds 19 shillings.
In his will dated 12th May 1818, he bequeathed his estate to ‘John Plimley, son of my late nephew John Plimley’. A mortgage was arranged in November 1830 to secure 100 pounds and confirmed at a Court Baron held at the King's Arms, Claverley.
'Young' John Plimley is recorded in the census 1841 aged 31, a publican, married - his wife Mabel, 28, they had a family; John, 6, Ann, 4, Eliza, 2, and Emma, 6 months.
John Plimley opened his beerhouse in the late l830's, taking advantage of the Duke of Wellington's Beer House Act, 1830, which permitted a householder on payment of two guineas to the Excise, to turn his private house into a public house, calling it the Wicket.
A short distance from the Wicket stood the Swan Inn, an alehouse owned by Thomas Lloyd - it had closed by 1860, but the house still stands on the corner of Swan Meadow.
Referred to both as the Wicket and the Gate, the latter eventually replacing the former. By 1859 the Gate had achieved inn status, permitted to remain open as long as a bed was empty, offering basic accommodation, food, homebrewed ale, and stabling to the lawful traveller.
In 1892, John Plimley the younger, defaulted on mortgage repayments and as a consequence the Gate Inn passed to farmer Charles Bannister; who sold on later that year to Wolverhampton maltster and brewer, Charles Hames Chater, he paid 619 pounds
Local Magistrates inspected the 'Old' Gate inn, 23rd July 1896 and were satisfied, finding the premises fair and clean, with 3 rooms upstairs, 4 rooms downstairs and stabling for 4 horses. Managed by Albert Pritchard and rated at 13 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence.
In June 1899, Charles Chater sold the Old Gate Inn to Bloxwich brewers J & J Yardley, paying 850 pounds. They merged with South Staffs Breweries, becoming Old Wolverhampton Breweries Ltd, in 1910; selling to Frank Myatt of Wolverhampton in 1920, for 2,000 pounds.
Frank Myatt and 94 licensed houses were acquired by the Holt Brewery, Birmingham in 1927, who in turn ware absorbed by Ansell's Brewery, Aston, 1934.
The old Wicket has seen many changes over the past 2 centuries, but remains, as originally intended by 'young' John Plimley, a social and convivial centre of a community.